Counselling and Well-Being
Counselling at Mount Carmel CollegeMount Carmel College recognises that many things can impact on a student’s performance and prevent them from being happy and achieving their best in school and in life. The happiness and well-being of our students is paramount and our School Counsellor, Mrs Linda Howe, deals with the social and emotional well-being of all students at Mount Carmel, and is seen as an extension of the student care offered by all staff. She is readily available to talk with students about any aspect of their lives that is affecting them. Linda can help in many different ways and while she might not be able to fix everything, she can help you cope with things that are worrying you, for example:
- school issues, such as school performance, motivation, goals, and study practices
- behavioural issues either at school or home
- emotional issues, such as depression, anxiety, anger, loss and grief
- relationship issues, such as social isolation, peer and opposite sex relationships
- family issues, for example conflict with a parent or sibling, unhappiness at home, family breakdown
- concerns they have for their child
- difficulties they are having at home
- parenting an adolescent
And lastly, Linda spends time talking with teachers in assisting them understand and/or deal with student’s behaviours and needs.
Linda’s office is on the first floor of the Sophia Centre and is available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday until 4.30pm. Anyone can pop in and say hello, have a chat or play one of the many games she has in her office. Knock on her door, and if she is busy, she will certainly let you know when is a good time to come back.