In Tasmania, all Catholic schools involve their communities in school decision-making. A Board of Management is one way in which members of the community are involved in their school’s planning and accountability.
The Archbishop exercises both canonical and civil oversight of the operations of Catholic schools in the Archdiocese.
The ultimate civil authority for the conduct of the Archdiocesan Schools rests with the Roman Catholic Church Trust Corporation of the Archdiocese of Hobart (Church Trust Corporation), acting with delegated authority from the Archbishop.
The Board has shared responsibility for the financial management of the school, and is called to support the leadership of the Principal and staff in educational programs.
The functions of the Board fall into two categories:
- Financial and property management.
- Advice to school administration on a range of educational and managerial strategic matters.
The Board has active involvement in the following areas:
- Supporting the development of the Catholic ethos of the school
- Supporting the Pastoral Care strategies
- Promoting the school
- Development of school policies in line with TCEC policies and other relevant guidelines
- Establishing short and long-term goals of the school and strategic plans to achieve these goals
- Developing Capital and Maintenance programs
- Approving the annual statements and other regular financial reports including a review of the annual audit report
- Reviewing and adopting the annual budgets and regular monitoring of the results including the Fees Collection, Discount and Remission Policy
- Ensuring the school is implementing adequate system of internal financial control, together with appropriate monitoring of compliance activities
- Ensuring buildings, properties and grounds are developed and maintained to provide a suitable environment for the learning process to flourish
- Periodically informing the school community about the operations and performance of the school and its significant developments
In 2022, Mount Carmel College’s Board Members are:
Parish Priest – Fr Shammi Perari
Board Chair – David Ronaldson (Parent Representative)
Deputy Chair – Yvonne Chaperon (Community Representative)
Treasurer – Kurt Stephens (Parent Representative)
Catherine Vickers (Parent Representative)
Robert Gard – Community Representative (Old Scholar)
Charmaine Stanton – Community Representative (Past Parent)
Fiona Nolan – Principal
Kerrie Loveluck – Business Manager