Mount Carmel College was founded by the Sisters of Charity, who were the first group of Women Religious to come to Australia in 1838.
In 1847, three Sisters of Charity arrived from Sydney to Tasmania and took up residence at 65 Harrington Street, adjoining St. Joseph’s Church. The Sisters provided religious education and supervised the first St. Joseph’s School, which was attached to the convent and later replaced in 1922 by a new St. Joseph’s school in Molle Street, Hobart.
St Joseph’s originally consisted of separate boys’ and girls’ schools in the one building, but in 1893 the boys (all except some infant classes) were transferred to a new school on the corner of Harrington and Patrick Streets.
At this time the school expanded into secondary classes, and was called St Joseph’s Secondary School and then renamed St Joseph’s College in 1926.
In 1942, the Sisters of Charity established ‘Little Mount Carmel’ Primary School, which began in a house in View Street, Sandy Bay, and transferred to ‘Lauramont’ on its present site in 1947.
1957 saw the amalgamation of Mount Carmel Primary School and St Joseph’s College to form Mount Carmel College, a Preparatory to Grade 12 College. Large building programs in the 1960s and the 1980s saw the College continue to expand and develop its resources and specialist facilities.
With the establishment of Guilford Young College for senior secondary students, Mount Carmel became a Preparatory to Grade 10 College from 1994. In 1997 a Kindergarten was opened and in 1998 the College entered a new phase in its history with the appointment of the first lay Principal.
The founders’ commitment, from the beginning, was to improve educational opportunities, especially for young women, equipping them with skills to make a positive contribution to society. We remain true to this focus today at the College, and strive to provide an education which fosters creative thinkers, confident problem solvers and independent learners.
Building works and refurbishments have continued since the College’s origin and in 2017 the development of Providence House, a purpose designed Middle Years Centre to cater to the distinctive and diverse learning needs of the early adolescent phase was opened.
Our community faces the challenge of the future by looking with confidence to the mission of the Sisters of Charity for the spirit of strength, service and compassion which characterised their efforts.
For more information on the Sisters of Charity visit their website.